Monday, May 3, 2010

Thifty to the max

One of the things my husband likes best about me is that I'm what he calls 'low maintenance'. I don't get expensive haircuts, wear high-end clothes or require monthly pedicures. I think all that just means I'm cheap. Seriously, I'd rather toss all that potentially ill-spent money on my mortgage.

Anyway, now that the nice weather is here, I've been paying more attention to my sadly hairy legs. I detest shaving, but I don't like the hair either. Waxing is good, although painful, but I just can't justify spending more than $60 to temporarily remove leg hair from my knees down. Ya know?

Anyway, this morning I decided I can totally make my own leg sugar mix. So I mixed together 6 tbsp of lemon juice, 6 tbsp of plain white sugar and 2 tbsp of water into a pot and stirred and boiled it over lowish heat until it turned dark. It took about 50 minutes. After it cooled, I spread it on my lower legs in small sections and rubbed over it with strips that I tore off of an old bed sheet. And riiiiip! No more hair! Total cost? About 75 cents. Love it! I would have taken a photo, but my fingers were sticky, so I stayed away from the camera.

In other news, I finally finished the charity quilt I was working on. I stayed unadventurous with the quilting pattern, but I did learn a new way to miter my binding corners that turned out pretty well (binding is my quilting nemesis), so I'm happy to have a new skill. Photos to come -- of the quilt and of a couple other crafty endeavours I have on the go after a weekend of perusing other blogs for inspiration.

Happy Monday!

1 comment:

  1. I will have to try that, I too are thrifty and hate shaving but Spring and Summer demand some type of maintenance.

    ReplyDelete