Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Easy bucket hat for my boy

We've had a run of sunny days lately, and my boys are taking advantage by spending a lot of time outside. Unfortunately, they've both inherited what my husband lovingly refers to as my 'fishbelly-white' complexion, and they burn easily in the sun. We're liberal users of sunblock, but they really should be wearing hats more than they do.

So, last time I was out shopping, I reminded myself to pick up a couple basic hats for trips to the park, etc. Maybe I'm cheap thrifty, but I was a little shocked to find hats at the grocery store selling for $12.99! So, I put the hats back on the shelf and kept moving. I have tons of fabric and reasonable sewing skills that allow me to make hats for a tenth of the store cost. Here's what I ended up with:

The kids love Diego.

And Mama love seersucker stripes!

I have a couple commercial patterns for hats, but I wanted something really simple, so chose the reversible 4-in-1 bucket hat tutorial on Sew Much Ado. Perfect!

My boys lose hats like crazy, so I fully expect to be making more of these as the summer goes on, but for now, everyone is happy to be sporting a Diego topper!

Linked to:

Catch a Glimpse Button

7 comments:

  1. Soooo cute. I love when my little one wears hats - his chubby cheeks seem to get even bigger :) !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these! I should make some for my boy ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. turned out amazing Tanya! bucket hats are on my list. The seersucker is so great and yeah, my girls would love the licensed print too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I think my favorite is the Diego one. Very colorful and summery. Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boys and hats are impossible! I finally gave up;) I wish they would keep something that cute on:(

    Thanks so much for stopping by. Glad to know its not just me that is decorating challenged because of the little people I live with ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your boy is so lucky to have such a crafty mom! They look great! Makes me want one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boys, i meant to put boys... their lucky!

    ReplyDelete