Monday, February 28, 2011

Quick pant saver tip

My youngest son has several pairs of cute overalls with snaps along the inseams to facilitate diaper changes. As a mommy, I think little boy overalls are about the most adorable thing ever, and I wish they could wear them everyday. But my youngest son, like his older brother, is a rough-and-tumble, super active little guy. Those snaps stay closed maybe two minutes after I get him dressed, and so the overalls don't get worn as much as I'd like.

So this morning I got the brilliant idea that I could just sew closed the snapped inseams. Yup, took all of a minute to do, and now my son will be rocking his overalls as soon as I can catch and wrestle him into them.

stitches are invisible
Since I just top-stitched the snap flap (technical term!) in place, I used a multi-toned 'denim' coloured thread that blends in with the fabric. I don't have a free arm machine, so it was a bit of a tight squeeze to stitch the entire length of each leg, but with a bit of twisting and a couple stops to make sure I wasn't sewing the leg together, it was easy enough.

5 comments:

  1. great idea! My kids used to wear overalls a lot when they were younger and I can remember buttons always unsnapping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great idea! I love the overalls too. I have a series of red pairs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! Thanks for stopping by the homestead! I always mean to check out your space but my computer time is so limited (thanks to my little ones)...will add you to my sidebar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Completely agree, even on girls the buttons always come undone quickly. You have solved this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So clever, Tanya! I bet everyone is thinking "Why didn't I think of that?" :)

    ReplyDelete