Monday, November 15, 2010

A wreath fit for the birds!

Birds are creatures I prefer to appreciate from a distance, but I do feel sorry for them during our long, cold, Canadian winters, so when I saw this bird seed wreath project from Under the Table and Dreaming by Stephanie Lynn, I knew it'd be a great project for me and my boys to help out our chilly feathered friends. Btw, if you haven't been to Stephanie Lynn's blog before, it's awesome. I want to re-create almost everything she does.

Anyway, yesterday the boys and I gathered our supplies and whipped up this wreath. It came together really quickly (perfect for little kids with the attention span of a gnat), and is now attracting birds in our side garden. I wasn't sure what to use for a form, but eventually settled on a pretty bundt pan with lots of shortening to make sure it would release after it was set.

We used:

4 cups of birdseed
4 packages of plain gelatin powder
2 cups of water
shortening for greasing pan
a scrap of tulle for hanging

Dissolve the gelatin in warm water, add seed and stir. Let the kids put the mixture in form, refrigerate until set (I left it overnight, just to be sure!), add the fabric hanger and you're done!

On another note, I just realized this is my 100th post. I'm hoping to celebrate that, along with the fact that some of your actually follow my blog (never expected that!), with a little giveaway, but I think I'm going to wait until the new year, since I'm crazy busy with sewing work for the holidays right now and quickly running out of time! So, watch for that, and thanks to all who read here.

4 comments:

  1. This is such a neat idea! I'm anxious to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this to! I can't wait to try it out with my girls. To me this is the best handmade gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How does this hold up in the rain and snow? Thanks

    ReplyDelete