Friday, September 10, 2010

Monster applique

My kids grew like weeds over the summer, so they need new clothes. Pants, specifically. The situation isn't dire for the youngest one (other than PJ bottoms, and I'm slowly making those), but my oldest son is such a stringbean that it's rare to find store-bought pants that fit both his long legs and ridiculously skinny waist. His diaper used to be our primary pants-keeper-upper, but now that he's potty trained, his pants are always falling down.

So, with that need in mind, last night I added...a shirt to his wardrobe. Sigh. Apparently, I'm truly hooked on applique. Maybe tonight I'll get to some quick pants for pre-school next week. In the meantime, here's the first piece for his 'fall collection'.

We'll layer this shirt over a long-sleeved shirt for cooler weather wear.

Not too scary  (=

I used my Silhouette cutter to cut out the monster shape. I've never done that before, and next time will use a little extra pressure on the cutting blade, but I'm ecstatic that it worked. I fused my fabric (a Christmas print turned sideways!) to some Heat and Bond Lite before sticking it to the cutting mat. I left the backing paper on Heat and Bond, and then removed the paper after the cut was finished and adhered to the t-shirt as usual. Then I zig-zagged around the edges, and added a couple red button 'eyes'. My son loves it, and I think this shirt will be great for Hallowe'en without being so themed that it can't be worn at other times, too.

Linked to:






Simpsonized Crafts

1 comment:

  1. I want to make appliques so bad!
    And about the pants not fitting at the waist... I know all about that! My daughter is the SAME way. She's 3 but uses her sisters 18 month pants as capris. I'm a HUGE fan of the elastic side band pants!!

    ReplyDelete