Monday, August 30, 2010

Spray paint saves!

As promised, here`s a couple of the little projects I`ve been working on between house guests (needed some new last-minute pillow covers -- so GREAT to have a sewing machine!) and enjoying the awesome weather. First up is the little chairs I picked up off of Freecycle.

before

After

I painted them red, after what felt like hours of sanding and priming. I learned sanding takes much longer than I anticipated, and that I probably under-applied the primer. As a result, there are still some damaged areas that show through on the seat, and if they bug me enough, I may re-do the seats at some point. The matching table was in much worse shape than the chairs, and is still sitting in the garage. I envision it bright blue, with maybe some sort of black and white racing flag design built in for the race track playroom theme that`s percolating in my mind. Maybe one day.

Next up is the pair of weirdly painted little vases I found on the curb while out for a walk with the boys one evening. I was too embarrassed to pick them up since the sun was still up so sent hubby out with the car under the cover of night.
is this tole painting?
I used a textured spray paint that`s supposed to resemble stone. I think the new look is better than the originals, but I`m not sure if I like them or not. For now, they vases are sitting on either end of my fireplace mantel. I think they might look nice with some fall leaves, so will keep them around at least that long.
newly texture-sprayed

better

The last piece I wanted to post about was the little white plant stand/mini table I repainted. I used a darker colour (oil rubbed bronze), which looked great. Then I Mod Podged some scrapbook paper onto the underside of the top. No one would probably ever see it, but I liked having it there. It`s kind of like wearing fancy panties under your mommy jeans  (=

Anyway, as I was looking for my camera to snap a pic this morning, my youngest decided to use the little table to body surf. Boy 1. Table 0. So repairs and a new paint job are now on my to-do list. I also have a ton of alterations to do, so will be busy with that for the next while.


2 comments:

  1. Those chairs turned out so cute! Good job on the vases. They don't even look like the same ones.

    ReplyDelete