Monday, February 1, 2010

Finished the quilt!

So I finished the baby quilt for my friend, just in the nick of time to meet her new baby this morning. And it turned out the best yet. And didn't I forget to take a picture! Grrr!

The quilt top is made of soft flannel prints in pink (of course!), yellow, white and a bright blue cut in basic squares and stitched together with a pink ribbon border. I added high-loft batting, and a white cotton backer. When I initially started quilting, I was going to do my standard (and again, very basic) cross hatch diamond pattern, but about a quarter of the way through, I realized that my backing had shifted and was no longer long enough on one side. So I ripped out all the stitches and re-pinned the layers together. That was yesterday afternoon, so I was in a bit of a time pinch! Afterre- pinning, I decided to try something new: quilting a pattern of random, overlapping circles. It turned out really pretty, so I'll have to do that again. I added some squiggly stitching in the border and then added a yellow bias-trim. I was really tired by the end, so the stitching isn't perfect, but the overall affect is nice and I'm pleased with it. Also, it's great value as a gift...I picked up most of the materials on sale (and has since been sitting in my stash), and probably spent less than $5 total. Love that!

On Saturday, I went to a baby shower for another friend expecting her second child. So on Friday night, I was sewing like a mad woman to make a little gift to go along with some books I got for the new mom and her daughter, who is about to become a big sister. I wanted to make a diaper and wipe pouch for her to take on quick errands or when she really doesn't need her whole diaper bag, but I didn't have a pattern. I ended up drafting this based on a commercial pouch I'd seen. Again, not perfect, but better than I expected, and it went over well at the shower.


It's just big enough for one of those small plastic wipe containers, a couple diapers, and a small wallet & keys.

There's a decorative button (which doubles as cover for a small goof I made!), but the pouch closes with an easy magnetic snap. Love these snaps!

1 comment:

  1. So cute! I love the fabric combo and need to make one of those myself!

    ReplyDelete